- Choose a healthier cooking style. Cut down on fat by choosing foods that are baked, broiled, poached, or grilled instead of breaded or deep-fried.
- Enjoy a colourful meal. Try steamed vegetables, vegetable soups, fresh fruit or vegetable salads, and berries with yogurt.
- Order healthier salads. Dark green salads are usually healthier for you than higher fat Caesar, taco, potato, or pasta salads.
- Ask for sauce and dressing "on the side." Get gravy, sauce, and salad dressing on the side and use a small amount.
- Limit sodium. Ask for your meal to be cooked without salt or MSG (monosodium glutamate), a seasoning that is very high in sodium. For Asian-style foods, ask for half the soy sauce.
- Pick a better pasta sauce. Order tomato-based pasta sauces instead of alfredo or cheese sauces.
- Choose whole grains. Order sandwiches, subs, or wraps with whole grain bread, buns, or tortillas. Choose one spread instead of two (for example, mayonnaise or margarine, not both).
- Limit cakes, cookies, and rich desserts. Get a smaller size or share with someone.
- Drink smart. Choose water, milk (skim, 1%, or 2%), fortified soy beverage, or 100% juice instead of soft drinks or sweetened beverages.
I have provided their website if you want more info. That’s it for this week Daniels, I’ll see you Wednesday for the final Wellness Month post. Stay classy out there.